Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Repentant Heart



My latest painting was inspired by taking a look at my heart and asking myself some tough questions. Truly where is my heart when I look at having complete sacrifice to the Lord? This took me to Deuteronomy 6. You should Read the whole chapter, but I will highlight parts of two verses; you must love the Lord your God with all of your heart...and you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly.
When I think about my commitment my mind goes immediately to the things I haven't given completely over to God yet. I just don't think it is possible to give my heart wholly by my own power, but I believe that with God all things are possible and so I have to give myself and my sins over to him yet again and ask that He  shows me a way to overcome this struggle. The figure in my painting is showing how vulnerable we are in front of our God. He knows all. He sees all.  The tree represents our life. When my life is over I want it to be a beautiful offering to God.
Maybe your focus has been on the naked figure in my painting and you see it as beautiful, but God sees the heart. And truly that isn't always as beautiful.   
Going back to Deuteronomy 6 gives some good ways to give ourselves wholly, first is "The Lord is our God, the Lord alone". No other god in my life and that includes me. And then there is a whole paragraph on leaving reminders everywhere! Write it on your forehead, teach it to your children, write it on your door posts etc. We need to be reminded over and over again who is the Lord of my life!
God’s word also led me to Psalm 51. This song was written by David after David has committed adultery with Bathsheba. David cries out to God “Don’t keep looking at my sins. Remove the stain of my guilt. Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit in me.” The 17th verse says that God desires a broken spirit and a repentant heart.
My Lord, May my life be a complete sacrifice to you, beautiful and pleasing. Change my heart make it clean and renew a right spirit in me. Amen
More verses on the heart~ Psalm 27:3, Proverbs 4:23, Mathew 5:8, Luke 6:45

No comments:

Post a Comment