Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Jesus the white elephant

December is full. The calendar is full. Bellies are full. It seems like every year I have at least three Christmas parties where there is a gift exchange. You know the game where you pull a number out of a hat and when it’s your turn you can steal someone’s gift. I think that game is best when you bring a White Elephant gift, you know, the gift that nobody really would want in their home but it’s just so crazy that you love it and it makes you laugh just looking at it. If it’s unusual enough it usually becomes a part of my home and is almost hard to give away at the next White Elephant gift exchange.
Crazy White Elephant gifts, good food, seeing friends and family those are my favorite Christmas memories. But if you know me well you would know that Christmas is not my favorite time of the year. I don’t like all the expectations, and feelings of guilt that come with it.
I get a little sad when I see all the business and hubbub of Christmas while people forget that it is Jesus Birthday celebration. Maybe people just don’t understand how amazing Christmas really is. God came in the person of His Son to live and die and then live again so we could be with Him in heaven forever.
 Maybe Baby Jesus is just a “Big White Elephant in the room” Nobody wants to mention, the real reason for the party was not to bring gifts but to get a White Elephant! Then bring Him into your home and into your heart and fall in love with Him show Him to people when they come over to your house and explain how wonderful He is until they love Him too! Then wrap Him up and take it with you and give it to someone as a gift. You might need to explain it a little at first but I bet they fall in love with Him too.

No comments:

Post a Comment